Natural Resources Canada
Charging the Future ChallengeBack to all challenges
The results are in!
We’re challenging Canadian innovators to recharge their thinking around batteries.
Batteries are a rapidly growing industry worldwide and are key to advancing clean technologies like electric vehicles and integrating renewable energy onto the electricity grid.
Let us give your innovative idea a boost
With an industry valued at $23 billion today, batteries present an important opportunity for Canada’s innovators to expand the industry, grow the economy and reduce pollution. We are looking to unlock the potential in battery technologies to optimize energy density, weight, range, life and costs.
Support the clean energy transition
Revolutionize batteries to power up more electric vehicles and boost the grid.
Develop innovative solutions
Meet the demand for clean, high-performing batteries.
Recharge the economy
Commercialize and compete on the international stage. Scale your innovation with a $1M grand prize.
Prizes for the biggest battery breakthroughs
Develop your positive idea!
Five finalists will win up to $700K each to develop their innovative battery prototype and pitch their concept to the jury.
Final grand prize winner
The Challenge Jury will pick a grand prize winner who demonstrates the most positive battery breakthrough to receive $1 million.
Who can apply?
- For-profit and not-for-profit organizations such as companies, industry associations and research centres
- Canadian post-secondary institutions
- Indigenous organizations and groups
- October 28, 2019: deadline to submit applications
- Spring 2020: Top five finalists announced
- October 2021: Prototype submission deadline
- February 24, 2022: Showcase and Panelist Event
- March 30, 2022: Final Grand Prize Winner Announced