Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Housing Supply Challenge: Round 2 - Getting StartedBack to all challenges
There will be five separate and unique rounds as part of the overall Challenge. Details and information surrounding each round will be released as they become available.
Round 2 - Getting Started: Pre-Development Processes
We are challenging you to create implementable, local solutions that improve pre-development of housing that is affordable.
Objectives of this round
- Have a long term local impact on pre-development of housing that is affordable.
- Are implementable within the timeline of the Getting started round
- Attract new ideas and resources and bring together different groups to solve the complex barriers to pre-development of housing
- Incorporate people-centered design to consider the needs of those who will use or be affected by the solution
The Getting Started: Pre-Development Processes round invites applicants to propose locally relevant solutions that improve the pre-development process for housing that is affordable. Pre-development activities include everything that brings a housing project from idea to the start of construction, and we want to hear your best ideas! Different pre-development barriers exist in different communities, and there is no single solution that will work everywhere.
June 9, 2021
Applicants develop initial submissions
August 25, 2021
Evaluation & shortlisting
September - October 2021
Applications evaluated and incubation funding announced
Shortlisted applicants develop final submissions
November 2021 - June 2022
Shortlisted applicants refine their solutions and design their implementation plan
June 15, 2022
June - July 2022
Selection of successful solutions
July - August 2022
August 2022 - March 2024
Funded applicants negotiate contribution agreements and implement solutions
Housing Supply Challenge Support ProgramAre you an applicant looking for additional support with your submission? Visit the CMHC Housing Supply Challenge Support Program, run by our partners at Evergreen. They are available to answer any questions about the application process and provide one-on-one support.
- Launch: June 9, 2021
- Initial Submissions: August 25, 2021, 2pm EST
- Shortlisted: October 2021
- Stage 2 Final Submissions: April 2022
- Funded Solutions Announced: Summer 2022
- Stage 1 – Incubation Funding for prototyping: Up to 30 Shortlisted Applications will receive $75k
- Stage 2 – Implementation Funding: Selected solutions will share a pool of $38M
Who can Apply?
Lead Applicant must be a legal entity:
- For-profit and not-for-profit organizations
- Indigenous organizations and groups
- Canadian post-secondary institutions
- Government (Provincial, territorial, municipal, local, and regional)
- Consulting firms
- Teams composed of a variety of participants