Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Housing Supply Challenge: Round 3 - Northern AccessBack to all challenges
There will be five separate and unique rounds as part of the overall Challenge. Details and information surrounding each round will be released as they become available.
Round 3 – Northern Access: Supply Chain Solutions for Northern and Remote Housing
The Northern Access Round seeks solutions that reduce the time, cost, and risk to access resources for building and maintaining appropriate northern and remote housing supply.
Objectives of this round
- Reduce time, cost, and risk to access required materials for housing in remote communities
- Demonstrate impact on building or maintaining appropriate housing supply
- Provide direct benefit to northern and remote regions
1. Reduce time, cost, and risk to access required materials for housing in remote communities: there are long timelines required for maintaining and building housing supply, high costs for transporting materials, and difficulty funding projects
2. Demonstrate impact on building or maintaining appropriate housing supply: Given that solutions are aiming to reduce supply chain barriers, it is understood that impact may also extend to a variety of different industries, sectors, and regions, but solutions must connect the impact directly back to housing supply. What is considered appropriate housing supply will depend on different contexts, including the geographic region, cultural considerations, housing quality, and sustainability.
3. Provide direct benefit to northern and remote regions: direct benefit can be provided in many different ways, including benefit and impact that is economic, environmental, social, or cultural. All solutions must demonstrate how they provide direct benefit to northern and remote regions and communities. The primary beneficiaries should be the regions in which the solution is focused.
February 23 - June 23 2022
Applicants develop initial submissions
June 23, 2022
Evaluation and shortlisting
June - August 2022
Applications evaluated and incubation funding announced
Shortlisted applicants develop final submissions
September 2022 - September 2023
Shortlisted applicants refine their solutions and design their implementation plan
September - November 2023
Selection of successful solutions
November 2023 – March 2025
Funded applicants negotiate contribution agreements and implement solutions
Northern Ideas Development Program for northern and remote residents
The Northern Ideas Development Program provides support to northern and remote participants who have a solution or a problem they would like to explore, but require support, resources, and capacity to develop their submission and apply.
Participants must apply to the Northern Ideas Development program to receive support. Participants will be selected on a rolling basis throughout Stage 1 (Feb 25-Jun 23) and will receive support to develop a full application to the Round. The program will support participants to meet the eligibility criteria for the Northern Access Round and will work with teams to ensure the identified problem or proposed solution aligns to the Challenge.
Support will vary for each participant based on their needs, and may include:
- research and data gathering
- seeking partnerships
- supporting solution development
- providing consulting services
- writing and submission support
- innovation sessions
- a dedicated 1-on-1 advisor
Please note that fully developed ideas are not required to use the Northern Ideas Development Program. Space for this program is limited and participants will be selected on a rolling basis.
The Applicant Support Program for ALL applicants
All applicants, including those participating in the Northern Ideas Development Program may contact Evergreen for general guidance on the application process, application requirements, web resources to support application development and, online activities to foster partnerships and collaboration.
Contact the Applicant Support Program, run by our partner Evergreen:
- Launch: February 23, 2022
- Initial Submissions: June 23, 2022, 2pm EST
- Shortlisted: September 2022
- Stage 2 Final Submissions: September 2023
- Funded Solutions Announced: November 2023
- Stage 1 – Incubation Funding for prototyping: Shortlisted teams will each receive up to $250k
- Stage 2 – Implementation Funding: Selected solutions will share a pool of $75M
Who can apply
Lead Applicant must be a legal entity duly incorporated and validly existing in Canada, including :
- Supply chain professionals
- For-profit and not-for-profit organizations (ie: companies, associations, research centres)
- Indigenous governments, organizations and groups
- Canadian post-secondary institutions
- Government (Provincial, territorial, Indigenous, municipal, local, and regional)
- Teams composed of a variety of participants
* All participants must be affiliated with a legally incorporated organization
- Applicant Guide
- Applicant Form
- Northern Ideas Development Program (Innovation 7) – for Northern and Remote applicants only
- NIDP Infosession
- Applicant Support Program (Evergreen) – for all applicants
- Launch event (recorded)
- Launch event FAQs
- Northern Access Information Session
- Networking session