Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
Housing Supply ChallengeBack to all challenges
There will be five separate and unique rounds as part of the overall Challenge. Details and information surrounding each round will be released as they become available.
Round 1: Data Driven - Solutions for informed decision-making
We are challenging you to create data solutions that improve decision-making for housing supply across Canada.
Objectives of this round:
- Identify and cultivate data solutions that positively impact housing supply that is affordable and meets people’s needs.
- Provide funding and support to implement and scale the most promising data solutions that target housing supply decision makers.
- Create long-term partnerships to connect data expertise, housing expertise, and the communities that can enable housing supply initiatives.
- Create a culture of trust and openness in Canada to encourage the accessibility of housing data for everyone that might benefit from it.
The Data Driven round invites applicants to submit data solutions or methodologies that improve the collection, sharing, analysis and integration, and/or presentation of data. The broad definition allows participants to determine the solution that best fits the needs of the identified problem.
We want decision makers to use the solutions to provide and maintain needed housing supply. Solutions should help government agencies, policy makers, private or not-for-profit organizations, etc. have a real impact on housing supply at a macro or a local level.
Stage 1 - Application Intake
January 20, 2021
Applicants will form collaborative teams to develop their solution idea for the Initial Submission.
Up to 25 finalists chosen from all applicants
Up to 25 finalists will receive $100 000 each to enter stage 2
Stage 2 - Prototype Development
February 2021 to September 2021
Finalists develop a prototype of their solution for the Final Submission.
Solutions chosen from finalists
Selected finalists will share a pool of $22.5 million in funding through deliverable or milestone-based contribution agreements, ensuring the implementation is successful and expected outcomes are achieved.
Round 1: Data Driven
- Launch: October 23, 2020
- Initial Submissions: January 20, 2021
- Finalists Announced: February 2021
- Final Submissions: September 2021
- Successful Proponents Announced: October 2021
Who can apply?
- For-profit and not-for-profit organizations
- Indigenous organizations and groups
- Canadian post-secondary institutions
- Government (Provincial, territorial, municipal, local, and regional)
- Consulting firms
- Teams composed of a variety of participants
* All participants must be affiliated with a legally incorporated organization
- Stage 1: Seed funding for prototyping - 25 finalists will receive $100,000 each
- Stage 2: Implementation Funding - Selected finalists will share a pool of $22.5 million in funding