Indigenous Services Canada
Indigenous Homes Innovation InitiativeBack to all challenges
The following timeline may change:
Launch and call for Ideas open
April 11, 2019
August 1, 2019
Up to 24 applicants selected for Accelerator
Beginning Fall 2019
15-24 projects selected for implementation, beginning Spring 2020
Project Implementation Period
Lessons Learned and Knowledge Sharing
The Initiative has 4 stages:
1. First-stage Screening and Evaluation
Indigenous Services Canada will screen all applications for basic eligibility and forward those that are eligible to the Indigenous Steering Committee. The Committee will review, evaluate and recommend up to 24 Indigenous innovators to the Minister of Indigenous Services for Accelerator participation.
2. Accelerator Period
During the Accelerator period, up to 24 Indigenous innovators will spend up to 18 months working with experts on refining their ideas. The Indigenous Steering Committee will determine the exact level of support based on the size, complexity and level of development of the innovators’ ideas.
Innovators that successfully complete the Accelerator period and develop their ideas into fully implementable proposals will move to the second-stage screening.
3. Second-stage Screening and Project Implementation Period
The Indigenous Steering Committee will review and evaluate fully developed proposals that successfully complete the Accelerator. The Committee will select between 15 and 24 projects for implementation. The Committee will determine the exact number of projects and the exact amount of funding based on the size, complexity and the potential to achieve the goals of the Initiative.
4. Lessons Learned and Knowledge Sharing
The Initiative is an opportunity to gather and analyze new approaches and share lessons learned with Indigenous communities across Canada.
Throughout the Initiative, the Indigenous Steering Committee and Indigenous Services Canada will seek to identify information that can foster the success of future projects related to Indigenous homes.
Once funded projects are implemented, the innovators will receive additional funding to review their projects and share lessons learned with Indigenous communities and others across Canada.
Who can apply?
- Individuals of First Nation, Inuit or Métis Nation heritage
- Representatives of First Nation, Inuit or Métis Nation government
- Indigenous representatives of a First Nation-, Inuit- or Métis Nation- owned and operated private or not-for-profit entity
- Launch and call for ideas open: April 11, 2019
- Application Deadline: August 1, 2019
- First-stage screening: up to 24 applicants selected for Accelerator
- Accelerator Period: Beginning fall 2019
- Second-stage screening:15 to 24 projects selected for implementation: Beginning spring 2020
- Project Implementation Period: 2020-2023
- Lessons Learned and Knowledge Sharing: 2022-2023
- Accelerator Period: Up to 24 applicants will receive up to $350,000 worth of funding and support services (a period of up to 18 months).
- Project Implementation Period: 15 to 24 projects that successfully complete the Accelerator Period will receive up to $2 million per project for construction.