Natural Resources Canada
Oil Spill Response ChallengeBack to all challenges
These 5 finalists were selected from the semi-finalists and will move onto Stage 3.
Aqua-Guard Spill Response Incorporated’s proposed solution involves recovery module(s) that mechanically recover floating oil sheens with unprecedented high oil/water efficiency.
Dalhousie University’s proposed solution involves the development of a rapidly deployable system of surface and underwater robotic vehicles with state-of-the-art sensors, profiling systems, and samplers to inform oil spill decision-making and response.
LGM Canada’s proposed solution involves enhancing mechanical recovery with an oil boom that has a permeable skirt treated with a coating to block oil but pass water thereby increasing tow speeds and reducing tow forces.
The University of Northern British Columbia’s proposed solution involves a mobile system that integrates nano/micro bubble gas flotation with adsorption, for environmentally friendly and quick oil recovery from oily wastewater collected from oil spill response.
The University of Toronto’s proposed solution involves a system that allows for in-situ treatment of decanted water stored in response vessels to increase storage capacity and speed oil spill response.
These 10 semi-finalists were selected from a pool of 87 submissions:
Who can apply
Eligible applicants to the Challenge include the following:
- For-profit and not-for-profit organizations such as companies, industry associations and research centres
- Indigenous organizations and groups located in Canada
- Post-secondary/academic institutions
- Individual or groups that are recognized legal entities
- International individuals and entities*
*Must have, or partner with, a legal entity in Canada.
- Ten semi-finalists will be selected to receive up to $300,000 each to support the development of their technology prototype
- Five finalists with the top solutions will be selected for up to an additional $1 million each to continue to scale and demonstrate their technology
- $2 million Grand Prize will be given to the team with the best demonstrated technology
- March 9, 2022: Applications Open
- June 1, 2022: Deadline to apply
- Summer 2022: Selection of ten semi-finalists