Natural Resources Canada
Power Forward ChallengeBack to all challenges
Building the energy systems of tomorrow
We’re challenging Canadian and U.K. companies to design better power grids, connecting our nations to clean, user-friendly grids and helping to prevent power outages.
Jump-start our clean energy future
Transform our energy system
Revolutionize the way we access clean, flexible, and reliable energy from the grid.
Expand to new markets
Create opportunities for Canadian and UK firms to expand into new markets.
Have a global impact
Test your idea in the real world with a $3M prize to pilot your proposal.
Ready to power up your idea?
Millions of new devices such as electric vehicles (EVs), renewables like solar and wind power, batteries and smart devices will challenge the way we think about our energy grid.
We want you to shape the future energy systems of our nations.
Build your team – bringing power, tech and software companies in Canada and the U.K. together to spark some brilliant ideas.
Tell us about your electrifying solution for our energy system.
Who can apply?
Canadian and UK:
- Small and medium sized businesses
- Other for-profit and not-for-profit organizations
- Indigenous organizations and groups
- Post secondary/academic institutions
Submit your entry by March 2019 to be eligible
- Call for proposals: October 16, 2018
- Deadline to apply for financial support: December 17, 2018
- Deadline to submit proposals: March 15, 2019
- Pitch event: May 2019
- Final award winner announced: March 2021
- A total of $1 million/£600,000 in each country will be given to eligible teams in need of financial support who have the most promising project vision.
- The six top teams will win $3 million/£1.8 million each to start building their proposed pilot project.
- $1 million will be given to the team with the best pilot demonstration.