Natural Resources Canada
Power Forward ChallengeBack to all challenges
Innovation is the key to understanding and enabling how we can improve our electrical grid. We are looking for disruptive technologies to develop, maintain and maximize our power grids and energy systems.
Make the connection
Applicants are asked to build collaborative teams with representatives from both Canadian and U.K.-based firms (at least 20% of the proposed project should include firms from the partner country).
Apply for financial support
A total of $1 million/£600,000 in each country will be given to eligible teams in need of financial support who have the most promising project vision.
Submit your electrifying idea
Tell us why your team deserves the $3 million/£1.8 million to demonstrate your project on a pilot-scale. We want the highest-impact solution that can integrate a broad range of energy sources to the grid while contributing to a flexible and reliable supply of electricity.
Solutions will need to be disruptive, modular, scalable and interoperable and demonstrate clear value to the end user and the grid. Teams will have to be international and bring together various energy resources, as well as a variety of innovative software and hardware solutions.
Three Canadian and three U.K.-based project teams will be chosen to move on to the finals.
Show us your transformative technologies
Six teams will receive up to $3 million each to conduct a pilot-scale demonstration of their smart grid solutions.
One team to win it all
From the six finalists a $1-million prize will be awarded to the team with the best-in-class solution.
Who can apply?
Canadian and UK:
- Small and medium sized businesses
- Other for-profit and not-for-profit organizations
- Indigenous organizations and groups
- Post secondary/academic institutions
- Call for proposals: October 16, 2018
- Deadline to apply for SME financial support: December 17, 2018
- Deadline to submit proposals: March 15, 2019
- Finalists announced: June 20, 2019
- Deadline for demonstration projects and final submissions: October 1, 2021
- Panelist and Showcase Event: February 24, 2022
- Final grand prize winner announced: March 30, 2022
- A total of $1 million/£600,000 in each country will be given to eligible teams in need of financial support who have the most promising project vision.
- The six top teams will win $3 million/£1.8 million each to start building their proposed pilot project.
- $1 million will be given to the team with the best pilot demonstration.