You will find here some useful references for the Challenge.
The following references are considered essential for the Challenge and are provided in both official languages. When applicable, you will find translations in the links below.
- NASA Technology Readiness Level (TRL) (English only)
- For a Canadian bilingual reference on TRL, please see Innovation Canada’s website.
- NASA STD-3001: NASA Spaceflight Human-System Standard; Volume 2, Revision B Human Factors, Habitability, and Environmental Health (English only)
- You can find here the excerpt of NASA-STD-3001: Section 7.1 Food and Nutrition, pp.75-82, in English
Note: Links to Web sites not under the control of the Government of Canada (GoC) are provided solely for the convenience of users. The GoC is not responsible for the accuracy, currency or the reliability of the content. The GoC does not offer any guarantee in that regard and is not responsible for the information found through these links, nor does it endorse the sites and their content.
Users should be aware that information offered by non-GoC sites that are not subject to the Official Languages Act and to which the Canadian Space Agency links, may be available only in the language(s) used by the sites in question.
- Analysis of Microbiological and Chemical Hazards in Edible Insects Available to Canadian Consumers. (2021) Beata M Kolakowski , Krystyna Johaniuk , Helen Zhang , Etsuko Yamamoto, J Food Prot 1 September 2021; 84 (9): 1575–1581. (English only)
- Human Adaptation to Spaceflight: The Role of Nutrition. (2014). Smith, S.M., Zwart, S. R., and Heer, M. NASA. U.S. Government Printing Office. (English Only)
- Space Food for Thought: Challenges and Considerations for Food and Nutrition on Exploration Missions. (2020) Douglas, G.L., Zwart, S.R., and Smith, S.M., The Journal of Nutrition, Vol. 150, Issue 9. (English only)
- NASA Human Research Roadmap, Evidence Report: Risk of Performance Decrement and Crew Illness Due to an Inadequate Food System. (English only)
- Canadian Space Agency Food Production Website.
- Agriculture for Space: People and Places Paving the Way. (2017) Wheeler, R.M. Open Agriculture, 2:14-32. (English only)
- Houston we have a Podcast – Episode 164: Eat Like A Martian. NASA. (English only)
- Growing Plants in Space - Veggie and Advanced Plant Habitat. NASA. (English only)
- Life Support Baseline Values and Assumptions Document. (2022) Ewert, M.K., Chen, T.T., Powell, C.D, NASA/TP-2015–218570/REV2, NASA JSC. (English only)
- Developing the NASA Food System for Long-Duration Missions. (2011) Cooper, M., Douglas, G., Perchonok, M. Journal of Food Science, 76(2): R40-R48. (English only)
- Interesting Examples (with past or current Canadian involvement)
- Large-Scale Crop Production for the Moon and Mars: Current Gaps and Future Perspectives. (2022). Poulet, L., Engeling, K., Hatch, T., Stahl-Rommel, S., Velez Justiniano, Y.-A., Castro-Wallace, S., Bunchek, J., Monje, O., Hummerick, M., Khodadad, C.L.M., Spencer, L.E., Pechous, J., Johnson, C.M., Fritsche, R., Massa, G.D., Romeyn, M.W., O’Rourke, A.E., and Wheeler, R.W. Front. Astron. Space Sci. 8:733944. (English only)
- On the hedonic scale Meilgaard, Morten C., B. Thomas Carr, and Gail Vance Civille. Sensory evaluation techniques. CRC press, 2006. (Book, English only)
- Review and Analysis of over 40 years of Space Plant Growth Systems (2016) P. Zabel, M. Bamsey, D. Schubert, M. Tajmar. Life Sciences in Space Research. 10: 1–16. (English only)
- Key Gaps for Enabling Plant Growth in Future Missions (2017) Anderson, M.S., Barta, D., Douglas, G., Motil, B., Massa, G., Fritsche, R., Quincy, C., Romeyn, M., Hanford, A. AIAA Space 2017, Orlando, FL. AIAA-2017-5142. (English only)