Getting Started Reference Materials
The reference materials listed here are intended to provide some background and context about barriers in the pre-development process for participants in the Getting Started round. Some of these documents were consulted in designing the round, and together they describe a variety of longstanding pre-development barriers in communities across Canada. These resources may provide a starting point for participants in thinking about potential solutions, and may also be helpful for the section of the application form that asks participants to consider how their solution is informed by or builds on previous work.
Use of these references is not mandatory, and CMHC does not endorse these documents, or the ideas discussed within, as definitive sources for this round.
The following references are CMHC publications, and are available in both official languages. Applicants may also wish to consult CMHC’s Housing Knowledge Centre for additional resources.
The following CMHC resources are research highlights. Full reports for some of these topics may also be available via CMHC’s Housing Knowledge Centre.
- The Impact of Zoning and Building Restrictions on Housing Affordability (2005)
- Analysis of Municipal Accessory Apartment Regulations in Canada (2016)
- Survey of Canadian Municipalities: Regulatory Measures for Housing Affordability and Choice (2001)
- CMHC and FCM: Housing Affordability and Choice: A Compendium of ACT solutions (2011)
Participants may also wish to consult case studies from the Affordability and Choice Today series, which are available via the Housing Knowledge Centre on CMHC’s website. The Compendium report is currently only available in English, however many of the case studies from the Affordability and Choice Today program are available in French in the Housing Knowledge Centre under the series heading “Abordabilité et choix toujours”.
- Canadian Home Builders’ Association: Municipal Benchmarking Study (2019-2020)
- Province of British Columbia: Development Approvals Process Review Final Report (2019)
- Residential Construction Council of Ontario (RESCON) and Ryerson University: Modernizing Building Approvals in Ontario (2017)
- Fraser Institute: The Impact of Land-Use Regulation on Housing Supply in Canada (2016)
- Dr. Ren Thomas: Connecting the Dots – Catalyzing Rental Housing Policy through Policy Learning (2019)
- Dr. Ren Thomas: Will Only the Strong Survive? Municipal Approaches to Rental Housing in Canada (2020)
- Evergreen and the Housing Action Lab Missing Middle Working Group: What is the Missing Middle?